This is a super quick run down of the super bottom basics of EMS for probies. Came up as a quick RP, if you think of anything else that should be added let me know. I figure they will learn more as they RP with us knowledgeable ones. Remember this if for RP purposes, it may not be perfect, but it should help prevent anyone from looking like an idiot

[9:42] Shadoe Ninetails looks between the 2 probies “Okay here’s the deal, Rule #1, if we are called to a stabbing, gunshots, someone beaten up, you roll to the scene, but you WAIT in the medic until the cops tell you the scene is safe. You do NOT go running in for ANY reason. I don't care how many people are yelling at you to do something. If I ever find out you did, you ass is mine”

[9:43] Mialeta Darkwatch nods. She already knew that from her very first call with Hazmat, but she doesn't say that to Shadoe.

[9:43] : Shadoe Ninetails OOC : if the cops aren't there ask the victim if the attacker is gone then NPC the cops

[9:43] Kaysen Jenipe nods..."yes ma'am"

[9:45] Rog Messmer grins watching Shadoe teaching the probies

[9:46] Mialeta Darkwatch: Chief, why don't you sit? You're making me nervous

[9:46] Rog Messmer shrugs slowly sipping his coffee, "naw I'm good here, spend enough time on my ass in the bus."

[9:47] Mialeta Darkwatch mutters playfully, "It shows."

[9:48] Kaysen Jenipe looks around like a kid in his first day of school

[9:49] Shadoe Ninetails continues “Next, if they are not conscious and talking/complaining/bitching, then check to make sure their airway is opened and see if they are breathing. If not, breathe for them using a BVM (Bag valve mask) and check for a pulse. If there is a large pool of blood on the ground, helping them breathe won’t do shit. Figure out where they are bleeding from and put a pressure bandage on it fast to stop the bleeding. Common sense. No blood in the body, nothing for the heart to pump, heart stops”

[9:49] Rog Messmer shrugs bending his neck and back in an attempt to look back at the much maligned ass, "hey it doesnt look that bad."

[9:50] Kaysen Jenipe pulls a little closer to the table, taking in every word

[9:51] Mialeta Darkwatch listens to Shadoe, nodding, but can't help but chuckle at Rog.

[9:51] Shadoe Ninetails: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bag_valve_mask

[9:52] Rog Messmer: ((resuscitator in your trauma gear folder))

[9:56] Shadoe Ninetails glares at Mia then Rog “I’m short on time folks, I gotta hurry this up, ‘k? So then, now you can take a blood pressure, If the top number is below 80 start an IV. If they have been bleeding profusely use 2 IV’s large bore needles, 18 gauge or higher. Remember the smaller the number the bigger the needle, like piercings.” She grins “If they are whining too much and their BP is over 120 shut them up with 2 mg morphine”

[9:58] Mialeta Darkwatch clears her throat, her attention never really having left Shadoe. She nods, putting on a straight faced expression. "Yes ma'am."

[9:58] Kaysen Jenipe nods and sits back in his seat, thinking he should pull out his pad and pen, "the smaller the number the bigger....ok i got you"

[10:00] Shadoe Ninetails speaks again “Splint broken bones in place, don’t try to straighten them, let the docs do that. You could pinch a nerve or a blood vessel and make it worse. Any trauma to the head, car accident’s, falls, bats, crowbars, or if they were found unconscious, use c-spine control, always assume they have a neck injury. C-collar, head immobilizer and backboard.”

[10:01] Kaysen Jenipe nods as he writes as fast as he can. Hoping he didnt miss anything

[10:05] Shadoe Ninetails takes a breath “If they are not breathing and do not have a pulse, do CPR, 30 compressions 2 breaths, have your partner place the AED (automatic external defibrillator) on the patient and follow the directions. They made them probie proof, even you guys can figure them out. Continue CPR until they come around or until you are at the hospital, then it’s the docs problems. But again if they bled out, shocking them won’t do crap, you need to replace the volume and then the heart should restart “

[10:07] Kaysen Jenipe looks up for a second, then looks back down and gets back to writing

[10:07] Mialeta Darkwatch nods slowly, listening, committing it all to memory.

[10:08] Shadoe Ninetails thinks for a minute “Okay I’ve covered scene safety, ABC’s, broken bones, immobilization, can you think of anything else?” she look over at Rog then Jocelyn “Oh I know overdoses, start an IV give .3 mg of narcan, also known as naxalone. Be warned they tend to wake up pretty pissed off and violent, after all you just ruined a great high for them. Umm anything else you can think of Chief?”

[10:09] Mialeta Darkwatch nods, remembering the kid from the beach front warehouse when Hazmat flushed his system and all the straps they'd secured on the kid.

[10:09] Rog Messmer shrugs, "just remember that narcan doesn't do shit for non opiates."

[10:10] Shadoe Ninetails nods "Yeah but use it anyway, they may have highballed it and have a mixture, It won't kill them if you do"

[10:11] Kaysen Jenipe lifts his eyes up from his writing and turns his head to the Chief, "why not"

[10:12] Mialeta Darkwatch: Probably wrong chemical mixture to neutralize it.

[10:12] Rog Messmer nods to Shadoe, turning his attention back to kaysen, "cause thats the way it is, narcan negates the effects of opiates in a way that was considered magic when it first arrived on the scene, but thats all it does, and remember, all the pain killers you use are opiates, so if you give someone a shot of narcan, forget about administering any pain killers for about half a hour at least

[10:22] Shadoe Ninetails finishes "Remember to tell the Doctors exactly what you did to the patient and what thier injuries are. So any questions?"

[10:18] : Shadoe Ninetails OOC : also when you arrive on scene IM the victim asking for their injuries unless they have a titler on saying them

[10:19] : Shadoe Ninetails OOC : if there are a lot of victims send an OOC message asking all victims to IM you with thier injuries

[10:19] Rog Messmer: ((yea I usually do anyway, titlers are frequently out of date, and you can get more detailed information in a IM

[10:19] Rog Messmer: ((and its important to know how bad they want it to be, not just what the wounds are))

[10:20] Rog Messmer: ((almost any wound you can mention can mean anything from walking away to dead, its critical that you let the patient decide how bad they want it to be)))

[10:22] Rog Messmer: ((and no point in bringing your RP A game to a idiot who wants to walk away with 6 bullets in his tummy))

[10:22] JoeinNorthCarolina Akroyd: ((yup catastrophic injuries and they walk away...))

Also note do not give morphine to patients with head injuries or else the doctors are unable to tell if the altered level of consciousness is caused by the head trauma or from the medication. If the blood pressure is below 100/70 do not give morphine as it will drop the pressure even more and can kill them