Student Life at Columtreal College

General

1) Get involved in student activities. This is a quick way to make friends and create new roleplay for yourself. Check the noticeboards and forums for information on IC and OOC events and don’t be afraid to suggest ideas to the RP group leaders. So far we have a number of Sororities, one fraternity, sports teams and of course the cheerleaders.

2) Check the CD Columtreal calendar for information on when your class is being run.

3) Don’t just turn up for classes; roleplay out of class time. For you studious types hang out in the library, for the less academically inclined types hang out in the student union or outside on the grass.

4) Be open to other players’ ideas. Roleplay happens through interaction with others so try not close off any avenues of possibility. Even if you think the idea sucks suggest ways to improve it that might make it better.

5) Don't be a noob snob - sure it can be frustrating if someone is oblivious to the conventions of roleplaying but that in no way means that the newb is a stupid person. If they're doing something wrong, try and explain to them a better way of going about it via IM.

6) Avoid OOC drama. If something is flaring up, try and communicate with the other party in a reasonable fashion via IM. You'd be surprised how quickly something like this can be cleared up if you avoid accusatory language. "If I’ve been shot in the head it makes it impossible for me to roleplay this character, could you modify your post so that your char shoots in my direction rather than shooting me directly in the head. It’s a less power-gamey move and leaves some space for me to respond" works better than "You shot me, you're a power-gamer, I hate you and I’m calling my Mom/an admin/my dog because you're so mean".

7) The college is a no-guns area; the sim owners feel very strongly about this. The focus of this sim IS NOT for combat. Hathian is a more suitable environment for this sort of roleplay. As a student, expect to find yourself in a LOT of trouble if caught on campus with any sort of weapon, whether it is a penknife or a catapult.

8.Try to avoid the mindset of needing to be the winner. Traditionally, the best sort of roleplay has never been about beating the other person but creating involving stories.

Tips for Lessons

1) Turn up!

2) Interact with your teacher, but don’t overwhelm them when they are trying their best to create a fun and informative class for you.

3) Your Instructors word is law. Obey it.

4) Disruption to classes: Do not disrupt the lessons with unnecessary spamming, gestures or noise. Be courteous. Your tutor isn’t being paid to teach you OOCly. They are here because they want to roleplay – as are you! If you disrupt lessons continuously, there will be OOC consequences.